Building an ADU
If you are considering expanding your Bay Area home or seeking more functional indoor space, consider building an ADU. Opting for an ADU gives you a cost-effective way to expand your home and can be used in several ways. We leverage our nearly 20 years of ADU construction experience at Valley Home Builders to deliver quality ADU planning, design, project management and building.
The Significance of Building an ADU in the Bay Area
An Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) is a permanent structure utilized as a secondary living space and offers many possibilities for property owners. In 2016, the Bay Area’s SB 1069 legislation launched a statewide and national surge in ADUs. In March of 2022, the Bay Area Council chose to build on this success by proposing additional reforms to make getting your build approved less costly, easier and faster.
With the bill offering additional funding for ADUs in the state, the popularity of these living accommodations continues to grow. Creating a secondary space attached to or detached from your main house provides versatile solutions to suit your wants and needs. These designs include garage conversions, tiny homes, backyard cottages and more.
Benefits of Accessory Dwelling Units
Whether you want to build a space for yourself, family members, caretakers or renters, some benefits of ADUs include:
- Flexible living space: A customized build allows many shapes and sizes of living areas to suit your intended needs, such as establishing a more manageable living space for empty nesters without leaving the neighborhood or allowing multigenerational families to gather under one roof.
- Positive environmental impact: The smaller size of ADUs decreases your carbon footprint by generally consuming less in utilities and shortening your commute with incorporated recreational spaces.
- Improved infrastructure: A secondary living space allows you to reconfigure the structure on your property in cities with high populations, providing a viable alternative to waiting for more housing to be built or finding a different place to live.
- Increase property value: Adding additional living to your residential space can offer a 20-30% increase in the worth of your property, depending on your location, size and features of the ADU.
Potential Uses for Accessory Dwelling Units
If you already know what you would like to use an ADU for or need some inspiration, the customization for these builds offers these opportunities:
- Support family members: An additional living space provides alternative housing options for family members, such as in-law quarters or a backyard cottage for adult children to live at their parents’ home with some added privacy.
- House on-site caregivers: The added component of an ADU provides families with the convenience of keeping a nanny or live-in nurse on the property while maintaining privacy and independence.
- Receive additional income: A possibility for short- and long-term rentals through guest house services or with tenants offers a way to earn revenue.
- Create home gyms or offices: The ability to create a home office, studio or gym space provides homeowners with accommodations right from their property, letting them save money by eliminating transportation expenses and membership fees.
Choose Valley Home Builders for Your ADU Build
Selecting Valley Home Builders for your ADU home remodeling project means you will benefit in the following ways:
- We offer custom ADU design solutions, giving you the freedom to build the ideal space for your needs.
- Our expert team has served the Bay Area from San Francisco to San Jose and beyond since 2005, making us local experts from climate to architectural styles and property market trends.
- We take care of every step of your ADU project in-house, from planning and project management to architectural and interior design.
- We will help you obtain the necessary permits to ensure your ADU home design and construction process comply with local building codes.
- Our work comes with a one-year guarantee, safeguarding your investment and giving you peace of mind.
Start Your ADU Building Project With Valley Home Builders
Valley Home Builders has the knowledge and expertise to ensure your ADU home remodel project is completed successfully, on time and within budget. Our experts specialize in the planning and construction of ADUs, home remodeling and room additions in the San Francisco Bay Area. We are happy to provide more insight and answer your questions to help you begin a project.