When Is the Best Time for a Home Remodel?
When you are not happy with the current state of your home, you want a remodel right away. Perhaps you need more space with an addition, or you want a total home transformation. No matter what you need for your home, you also want to pick the best time for a home renovation. That ensures builders complete your project in time for you to enjoy your improved home.
You might expect spring or summer to be the best time of year to renovate your home, but consider a few factors before going with the usual timeline. Discover when to remodel below.
When Should You Begin Planning Your Home Remodel?
You may want to begin planning your home remodel in the fall or winter. When you start planning depends on the scope of your project and when you want builders to complete their work. Start planning in the fall for a timeline that is more likely to end at the start of summer, especially with a large project. When you should begin planning your home remodel will also depend on personal factors. Consider these details to determine the best time to begin planning your home renovation:
- Contractor availability: Summer is a popular time for many to begin planning a renovation, meaning designers and builders may be busier during that season. A winter home remodel helps ensure contractor availability for your project.
- Planning Around Your Schedule: Depending on the size of your project, you may have to relocate temporarily to avoid the noise and ongoing construction work with your home renovation project. If you already plan to be away for vacation or the holidays, this is a great time for our team to begin work on your project.
- Packing your belongings: If your home remodel is for your home’s interior, you will need to pack and store your belongings. Give yourself time to find a safe spot in your home to put your belongings.
- Your budget: Part of determining when to remodel is knowing when you have space for it in your budget. Plan your finances, and you can easily determine the best time for your home remodel.
- Holidays or company: Factor in the holidays or planned visitors within the year to determine the best time for your home remodel. You want your project to be done before these occasions or to start shortly after them.
What Goes Into the Home Remodeling Process? How Long Does a Home Renovation Take?
At Valley Home Builders, we break the remodeling process down into three main phases. Depending on the scope of your project, this process from start to finish could take anywhere from nine months to a year or longer. Smaller projects such as interior renovations can be completed rather quickly whereas larger projects such as home expansions or ADUs can need more time to acquire permits and ensure a quality build. With your needs in mind, we will provide a more specific timeline through our remodeling process, which involves these phases:
- Phase one: We get an initial feel for your project by visiting your home for a free consultation. We will then schedule a meeting to contract a design. With the scope of your home renovation in mind, we provide a rough estimate of your timeline and an approximate cost. This process can take between two to three months.
- Phase two: During this phase, we develop a Preliminary Design, which is a floorplan that helps you visualize your home remodel. We also create elevation views and an electrical and lighting plan. A Project Developer will provide an exact initial estimate for your project, clearly defining itemized components of the remodel. This process can take between two to three months.
- Phase three: Once you approve the design and budget and we obtain the necessary permits, we begin building. During this process, we meet with you regularly to discuss our progress, any concerns and any ideas that develop during building. This process will vary based on the scope of your home renovation, but you will have our estimated build timeline before this phase.
Why Begin Your Remodeling During the Winter?
A home remodel, new home build or accessory dwelling unit (ADU) construction takes months to plan. Beginning your project during the winter means builders could finish by the summer so you can show off your new home and enjoy it during the summer weather. If you have a large-scale project or want to ensure your home is ready for summer, consider starting the process in mid to late fall. With a fall or winter home renovation, you will likely enjoy these benefits:
- Convenience: Starting your remodeling process in the fall or winter may align with holiday vacations from work or travel plans, as well. Holiday vacations give you free time to prepare your home for renovations. If you have plans to leave your home for the holidays, you will be away for parts of the building process.
- Availability: If you do begin your home remodel plans in the winter, it may be a slower time for designers and builders. They can begin your project sooner and have a quicker turn-around time with fewer projects to handle. It could also be easier for builders to source materials for your projects during slower times of year.
- Weather: You will not have to worry about the weather during a winter home renovation in Santa Clara County and San Mateo County. Temperatures may get cold, but there is no freezing weather to delay projects. By the time the building process begins, we may even be enjoying the start of spring weather.
Ultimately, the best time for a home remodel will depend on your designers and builders, as well as your personal needs, but winter is a great starting point. That does not mean that winter is the only time you can begin a home remodel, though. Builders will begin ADUs, new homes or remodeling projects any time of year, provided they have the availability. You are then free to create a timeline that works for you based on when you begin the planning process.
Plan a Winter Home Remodel With Valley Home Builders
For home remodeling, new builds, ADU construction and expansion projects within Santa Clara County and San Mateo County, trust Valley Home Builders. We provide high-quality work and an exceptional customer experience to help you transform your home. With our design and build process, our in-house designers, architects and project managers give you the convenience of having one point of contact from start to finish. At Valley Home Builders, we specialize in major renovations, from remodeling your whole home to second story, room or ADU additions. Whatever your needs, our team will proudly help you transform your house into your dream home.
Fill out our contact form with your project details and information to request a free consultation today.