Our Design & Build Capabilities
Here are some of the services Valley Home Builders provides to San Jose homeowners:
- General information about design and build services
- Major renovations
- Whole House Remodels
- Architectural Design & Build expertise
Respecting Its Rich History
First founded as a mission in 1777, San Jose became California’s capital city in the 1850s. Now San Jose serves as a significant hub for Silicon Valley. As the second incorporated city in the state, San Jose began to grow steadily in the 1850s and really boomed in the 1950s after World War II. Now home to over one million people, San Jose is a major player in the Silicon Valley economy.
San Jose’s residential architecture reflects its rich history. The Peralta House, located in the heart of the downtown district, is a beautiful example of an adobe structure built in the 1790s. The city also boasts Victorians to World War II era homes to more modern structures. Each architectural type has its unique challenges when it comes to contructing additions and remodeling.
Remodeling in San Jose
Before you begin remodeling your San Jose home, here are a few things you need to know:
- San Jose is fairly straightforward with regard to its codes. They require Title 24 energy calculations and a green building insert for the plan (this is a generic form that shows that we are conforming to certain green building guidelines).
- Every building zone has its own restrictions for setbacks and other guidelines. The good news is that San Jose, in general, doesn’t have any significant surprises when it comes to construction projects. That said, you definitely need to have professionally-created plans for new home construction and remodeling projects.
- In most cases, San Jose allows you to build up to 45% of FAR (floor area ratio).
- Your building plans should also take into account potential fire sprinkler systems and pier in grade foundation systems.
- Timing for securing permits can be a challenge as the city is often understaffed. For additions under 500 square feet and for single-story residential projects, you can apply for an “Express Plan Check” appointment. This allows you to have a one-day appointment with the city to have your plans reviewed by all the departments (planning, building, public works, etc) in order to pull the permit that same exact day. Otherwise, the submittal process can take 3-4 weeks for first comments and then another 2-3 weeks for review.
- Whenever we manage a home remodeling project in San Jose we call in advance for inspections as they can be delayed up to a week.
Examples of San Jose Remodeling Projects
Here are just two of the homes we’ve remodeled in San Jose:
Working With an Award-Winning Firm
We are committed to delivering excellence in all our home building projects. If you’re looking to custom-design a home, renovate an older property, or improve the footprint of an existing home in San Jose, we can help guide you through all phases of the process. Valley Home Builders has been nationally recognized by NARI – the National Association of Remodeling industry – for custom design and remodeling work. We have also been featured in Remodeling Magazine’s Top 50 Building Contractors. In 2013, we received the top award from Angie’s List. When you work with us, you work with the best in the San Francisco Bay Area.